Sunday, January 11, 2009

Heart issues

In Matthew 15 Jesus is asked questions about traditions, and what makes a person bad. Jesus makes a statement that “What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, witness, slander. These are what defile a person.”

It is interesting to really take this passage in the context of Jesus’s time. Jewish tradition is pretty strong, and I imagine that back in those days not many would break rank from the standards set. This is much like American Culture today. That we often want to fit in, who doesnt? We set up traditions, that help us unify, and establish a normal standard. Churches do this too. Tradition is often a place of identity for many of us, but it isn’t always a place that relates well to the messiness of life.

We all know that life is a bit crazy, and that we all have pretty jacked up parts of who we are. These parts of our lives are not friendly to traditions. What is friendly to traditions, is buying into accepting thoughts that are not necessarily from your own internal development, but just accepted thoughts because we want to buy into the system and have a little comfort and credibility.

All I can think about now is the bar scene, and how awkwardly, and ridiculously many guys try to pick up girls or get their phone numbers. This odd social phenomenon to me is a classic case of people buying into the wrong set of tradition. The culture that this practice is derived from breeds from within mostly packs of males conjuring up what they think women want. I don’t know about you but why would I try to learn about women from a middle man, and not the source? The sad thing is though that some of you ladies give in, and settle for something less than what you actually deserve.

So back to the text. I have mostly talked about traditions, and things that we buy into without really questioning. Sometimes we accept a tradition and have actions or lingo that may contradict what we actually can articulate a belief. Some of us say that we have no fear. What about the times when you are afraid to talk to the gay or lesbian person that is sitting next to you staring at you? What about that man that looks grungy, and possibly homeless? What about that person that you’re not interested in, but they may be interested in you? What are your adjectives that you use to describe them? Do you make sounds of disgust? These are all notions of the heart that speak about your true character.

I catch myself all the time, getting disgruntled or frustrated with the rich, with authority, and even with some of my neighbors. I miss out on the opportunity to see the beauty that God has actually placed in everyone. I fail miserably throughout the day in the way words come out of my mouth. May I recognize, and be mindful of the expressions I use and the condition of my heart toward all of God’s creation that Christ has called us to love and bring hope to. May I break through traditions and established norms, and follow The Way of Christ in Loving His People.

No comments: