Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Adopt the Hood

        So, I have never been one to love fundraising, nor one to ask for help unless necessary. It is quite odd for me to have recently really come to grips with the fact that I really need help now, and that ministry here has grown into something that needs more of my time. It has been tough lately working then teaching art or going to school, and finally to arrive at home with atleast one neighborhood kid that wants to hang out.
        I find myself not spending as much time outside my house, and in the neighborhood as much. This is probably due to the intense nature of my line of work, as well as just needing quiet, and decompression time to myself. I love the 6 kids that often come to hang out at the house, and wish I had the energy to spend time with them. We often cook a crazy meal that I have schemed up, and I make them eat their veggies. It is awesome to get to expose them to new foods, and to take them to different places. I need and want to begin to really engage their families as well, but I don’t currently have the energy or time to do that properly. So I am attempting to reach out to the church, friends, and family, to help me tell the stories of my neighborhood and how Christ is creating positive social change.
        I am going to start sending out stories, newsletters, and tidbits of what is happening in the neighborhood so that you know what is going on, and that I can be your connection to the most dangerous neighborhood in the nation. You can be apart of the story of God’s sovereignty and restoration in this neighborhood by being engaged through prayer, experience, finances and conversation. I am on a mission to think innovatively about how the church can truly help us as the neighborhood, and reestablish opportunity for jubilee with the residents in Central City. Will you help? More info on the neighborhood at www.Refugenola.org

Peace outside, and don’t break your New Years resolutions..... just trying to hold you accountable
~michael

                

No comments: