Thursday, August 28, 2008

Should I stay or Should I Go NOW!!

So there is hurricane Gustav coming! I am unsure of what I am going to do now.
Part of me would like to flee, but is that too safe for me? How do we, and how should we react as leaders of the church.

I have thought of a series of questions?

What is our perception of destruction?
I feel like I often view things radically different than the normal. I don't see the ugly head of destruction, instead I see beauty, strength, creation, and the complexities, and irregularities of life. I see a chance to take part in a restoration process that is not selfish but of pure love.

Why do we flee?
We flee for, our safety. Our, a word meaning I and you disturbs me. I know who I am, but our defines some sect of people, but not everyone. I think when I say our, it's me and my small circle of people I revolve around. As a believer in Christ I believe that God has called us to place the needs of others before myself. The poor and the needy, are the least likely to flee, so what am I to do? How should the Church represent in the midst of destruction. I have not been through a hurricane before I do not have the experience, and even if I had I hope that Christ would not let me be fearful of it.

Why do we not want it to hit New Orleans(us)?
The typical response, "Pray that it doesn't hit us!" This statement inherently gives the impression that we are somehow better than any other place. It's almost the same as the conflict between the ideas of being anti-abortion and pro-war. I choose to fight against death of little kids, but I am ok with killing those other people. Who am I to say that I am better, or have more value than someone. God has created us with equal value.

No comments: