Thursday, August 28, 2008

Breaking down barriers: My beautiful neighbors

So everyone is at wits in contemplating the possibilities of Gustav. I am in that mix tossing between do I stay or do I go. I still haven't decided yet. I have almost gotten to the point of letting my neighbors decide for me. If any of my neighbors stay, I really want to stay here for them, and to go through the storm with them. I know there are ones that are headed out tomorrow toward some unknown destination at the moment. For the ones that don't know where they are headed, I hope to offer them a place to stay with my roomates that will probably evacuate tomorrow. As for me I am still undecided

So here is the story of today, that I figured I must share.
Today I arrived at home, let the dog out, and went out to go shoot the breeze and talk to my neighbors about their Hurricane Gustav plans. I went to check on my neighbor Edwin, who has a wife and a two year old daughter. He was washing his car, and another neighbor had just left from conversing with him. Edwin and his wife are Filipino, and his family, and possibly one other family live on his side of a block caddy corner to mine. We are kind of the typical oddball Asians in a predominately African American neighborhood, however I am more of an extrovert and over the top.

While we were conversing our other neighbor, Calvin came back by and for some reason I thought of asking him if he would like to pick up a job helping me install a fence. I didn't ask Edwin because he usually has to watch his daughter, because his wife has to work and someone needs to watch the baby. Calvin mentioned that he was already helping out some other person and that he wasn't available.

Calvin said, " What about him!" and points at Edwin.
Edwin responded, "Yeah! What about me!"
Calvin responds, "Give it to him!"
I said, "Ok, I have a fencing job to work on after the storm stuff."

I eventually learned that Edwin can do work on the weekends, when his wife can watch the baby. So I thought that it was wonderful that one neighbor would pass up a job and push it to someone else.

Earlier this week, I also found employment for another neighbor of mine in which he will go through an environmental science workforce program and get a few certifications to make him more employable in the environmental science world.

This side of my life is pretty exciting to me so far, I hope to be able to establish some system or type of business to employ people and treat them well.

No comments: